NC lottery results: More than $2bn of winnings not reported – News24
NEWCASTLE, New South Wales – More than 2,000 winners of the 2016 New South Welsh Lottery have been denied refunds and may have been left with more than $1bn in winnings, the New South’s Department of Finance has confirmed.
The lottery, which began running in March 2017, has a turnover of about $2.2bn.
Its winners will receive refunds of more than half a billion dollars, with the remaining $1.5bn in the form of prizes not yet distributed.
The department said it received reports of winners receiving $500,000 or more and the distribution of prizes was not completed on time.
“Lottery staff are working to resolve these issues as quickly as possible,” a spokeswoman said.
“All winners are provided with information, vouchers and support to ensure they receive their rightful prizes.”
The department has taken the matter seriously and will work closely with all winners to ensure these issues are resolved as quickly and efficiently as possible.
“The lottery began operating on a trial basis in March of last year, with winners paid an entry fee of $25 each.
But it closed the competition and replaced it with the North Queensland Lottery.
The New South says it has no way of tracking how much money has been distributed since then.
The Department of Public Works said it was working with the lottery to ensure the winners received their prize.
Topics:lotto,state-parliament,government-and-politics,financial-dissector,parliament-house-2825,nsw,south-adelaide-5000,vic,canberra-2600,act,newcastle-2300First posted March 09, 2021 18:55:18Contact Nick MacGregorMore stories from New South South Wales